Wednesday, March 13, 2013

You had me at "Our Father"...

HABEMUS PAPAM!!  I'm celebrating with you all!  :) A pope from our continent.  By the grace of the Holy Spirit, a pope for our time.

Alerted by a text, I was sweeping with great alacrity as I waited for those curtains to open, watching beautiful St. Peter's Square on TV, packed and flashing with lights on a beautiful Roman evening, flags waving.  Toys flew into place over here...

Then he was there, white in robe and countenance.  He looked so fragile just now when he first came out... wanted to give him a hug, ya know?  It was a blessing to pray live for him with people all over the world.  Praying for his courage while being handed perhaps the world's most terrifying job.

But then he spoke, as casually as if he was addressing a Sunday morning congregation in his home parish.  I loved that he invited us all to join in praying the Our Father.  What a moment.

A moment marred only by the fact that my three-year old was in full-scale, fist and foot floor stomping tantrum because I had stopped Mickey Mouse Clubhouse for a glance at history.  I will remind you of this in a few years, dear Cece.  Meanwhile, glad the threat of corner time worked...

In over-zealous Pope Watch excitement, I had been up at 5:30 this morning, tuning on EWTN to see the smoke.  Around 6:45, I realized that 5:30 did not mean 5:30 smoke, and gave up staring dry-eyed at the plain pipe they call a chimney.  I then resolved to get my Pope news from the Facebook feed page.  But I feel so blessed I was able to watch Pope Francis come out on the balcony for the first time.

I am now going to settle in and watch the comments and conspiracy theories fly around the Catholic world.  As for me, I look forward to what God has in store for us with our new Pope! :)

"And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church,
and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it." Matthew 16:18

1 comment:

  1. I loved how he started out with, "Buona Sera!" and then asked us to pray for him in a moment of silence--so beautiful. Great post!

    ReplyDelete