Sunday, May 11, 2014

Happy Mother's Day

When the reverse proved unrealistic and somewhat undesirable, for various reasons


I've locked myself out on the porch this evening.  :D



It is an absolutely perfect time to be outside: the lowering sun glowing through the vines winding up the pillars, birds and lawn mowers competing to be heard, the smell of cookouts and lilacs in the air.  When the weather permits time outside, I love our little home across from the park, where all four of my girls gathered fistfuls of dandelions to wilt on my windowsills. I hope they never outgrow the belief that I--most particularly--"love" these weeds, if only because it keeps them from picking the neighbor's tulips and daffodils.

I determined to not have unrealistic expectations on this day, and this year, it worked for me. So when I was woken up too early in order to be given handmade bookmarks they couldn't wait one more second to bestow, when cards were thrust at me in the shower by grinning toddlers, when church involved a communion line fit over a misplaced barrette, when it was discovered that all the nutella for the crepes had been eaten via spoon, and when four-year-old tempers flared when, at first, they couldn't get into the tree by themselves, and again later, when they couldn't get down solo either,

Cecilia, in the extremely brief time between tree tantrums
when the cut-outs from handmade cards were left all over the table and floor, and when we somehow ended up at Aldi to buy liverwurst... I've been fine.  I've been happy, grateful, kept my focus, and was generally non-PMSy about the whole thing. As you mom's know, it's not always easy to see the blessings through the mess.  But the moments when we can... those are beautiful.

And.... no word of a lie... my preschooler just came outside to see me in her birthday suit with a happy sigh, commenting, "Mom, it's just you and me, on Mother's Day," shortly followed by her little sister exactly as pictured above other than that she has since accessorized with an opened, industrial-sized bag of chips. Can't make this stuff up....  Think "Mom" might just be needed about now...

In brief, I'm hoping that all of you with mother's hearts out there had a similar experience of feeling the blessings of today; would love to know what your experiences were if you care to share here.  :)  Love, peace, and joy to you all.

(Love this image!) "As one whom his mother comforts, so I will comfort you ..."  Isaiah 66:13
Linked to This, That, and the Other Thing

1 comment:

  1. Of course! My mother's day featured being woken up to tiger lilies and a pair of Wonder Woman socks, which I wore to church. It is hard to believe that two very small human beings think that I am the coolest thing in the known universe because my socks have capes on them, but I'm just gonna ride the wave as long as I can . . . my well-beloved sons were extremely tired during Mass and so I heard the final mother's blessing through a door, but hey, grace travels . . . we had the pleasure of speaking with some good friends after Mass and then Mommy spent the afternoon at Barnes and Noble ALL BY MYSELF, treated myself to a chocolate lava cake, and came home to prime rib and a full Wonder Woman outfit, which my sons haven't let me take off since ("mama, will you wear your Wonder Woman outfit to bed?") It was the best day ever. Even with two potty trips and a meltdown during Mass. I don't even care any more.

    ReplyDelete