Sunday, March 31, 2013

Darkest before the dawn

Okay, I wasn't going to post today, anymore than the following: See what I did with this blog?  Eh?  Eh!  You're impressed, huh?  I got all super freaky geeky on you and changed the template to SPRING.  Woah.  That took all of my computer powers for a good three months.  Happy Easter!

But then this happened:


Well, actually that was this morning so things are darker before tomorrow's dawn I guess...  As I noted on the accident report: "Whilst traversing 195 Eastbound on the bridge, a gentlemen in the right hand lane was thrown into panic at the sight of a blue recycling bin in his path.  Rather than damage the innocent if idiotic container, he braked hard and swerved, losing control of his vehicle.  His car then swirled counterclockwise until it met mine.  But thankfully both he and I are all right, it's a beautiful day, and I have a great view of the water while I wait.  Happy Easter!"

Fortunately, I was alone, and no airbags deployed.  Looks like my little girl is already looking out for me. :)

I even made it home in time to take the kids to their egg hunt



with only the mildest of hitches: a. I have to climb through the driver door to get to the passenger side, at least until the adjuster comes out to inspect on Tuesday and b. Cecilia wanted to get only pink eggs.  In her own dark words, "If anyone takes my light pink eggs, I will GET IT FROM THEM."  It took all my efforts of persuasion to convince her that no, she had to share, all the eggs were as good as the others, and actually the golden eggs had prizes (she was most unimpressed with the latter idea.)  I only think we avoided a loud tantrum because she did end up getting the silly pink egg she had in her sights...
Oh dear.

I am now typing in front of "The Bible" on TV, having just come back from my favorite Mass of the whole year: the Easter Vigil.  I highly recommend it for anyone even mildly curious about what's "really" Catholic... it's the most Scripture-packed and symbol-filled liturgy of the year.  And thus, very long.  The total darkness of the church is slowly lit by candles held by the congregation, fire passed from the Easter candle, representing the new life of the Risen Christ.  The story of Creation, the parting of the Red Sea.  Isaiah 55: "All who thirst, come to the water... including v 8 "my thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are my ways your ways says the Lord." (You aren't kidding, are You?)  Followed right by Isaiah 12: "God is my salvation, I will trust, and will not be afraid..." (Thank you Lord!)  Psalm 19.  Zephaniah 3.  And that's not even half of it.  :)

The Easter story is read.  The crowd is sprinkled with water representing our baptism into God's life.  In our case, the crowd was soaked.  The priest we had gleefully filled up his bucket to the brim, took the hyssop stick (I'm sure there's a fancier name for it but it's a sprinkler-thingie basically) and took his time shaking water at each row.  He then returned back up the aisle, stopping to ask a couple of elderly ladies if they had gotten them well enough on the way down.  Ha!  Anyway, we sing "Alleluia" for the first time since Lent began.  The church's lights come back on suddenly and every candle is lit and bell is run when we sing the words of the angels in Bethlehem "Glory to God in the highest, peace to His people on earth."  Birth, death, and new life.  Salvation come full circle.


Okay yes, I admit I've got a combo of Easter enthusiasm and a sugar high going on right now... Way-hay too much candy on my way home; kids left it in the car, and I'm a firm believer in natural consequences.:) So I'm gonna wrap this up for tonight... :)

But before I do, one of my most favorite parts of this my most favorite service is my most favorite song of Easter, called the "Exultet."  All hyperness aside, it's so outstandingly beautiful. So here are some parts:

"O wonder of your humble care for us!
O love, O charity beyond all telling,
to ransom a slave you gave away your Son!

O truly necessary sin of Adam,
destroyed completely by the Death of Christ!

O happy fault
that earned so great, so glorious a Redeemer!"

God turns our sins to salvation, our death into life, our sorrow into joy.  Happy Easter, everyone!






No comments:

Post a Comment